Most of my clients have a list of emails they've gathered from donors and event sign-up sheets over the years, but very few have a consistent strategy for either adding to that list, or keeping their existing list current.
Can your organization answer yes to the following questions?
- Does your website have a prominent email collection box that's visible on every (or almost every) page?
- Do emails that you send to your current list have both a "forward to a friend" button as well a "sign up for our newsletters" button - making it easy for your current supporters to recruit new supporters?
- When you collect emails addresses at events, do those new people receive a welcome message from you within one week?
- Do your printed mailers include an "update your information" section - pre-printed with the information you currently have - to make it easy for people to notify you when their information changes?
- Do you regularly purge invalid emails from your list?